Thursday, July 24, 2008

Pods and Peas

Finding snacks for a junkfood-craving child on a GFCF diet can be a frustrating-- with the constant reading of labels, deciphering unfamiliar ingredients and very limited choices. The best option of course is to make my own chips, which unfortunately I don't have the time and resources to do... Okay, I'm a lazy cook when it's not my kitchen, fine. But making chips needs to be done in bulk to save on energy and time. And you need to bag them to maintain freshness, which is a whole other nightmare in itself. Until I stumbled upon a brilliant solution.



Yes... PODS. Gluten Free, Casein Free because it's made from peas and rice flour. Baked, not fried. And NO MSG! I love it! It's also perfect for hard edge vegans.

It looks a bit scary admittedly, the "pods" themselves are off-white with a greenish tint. But they taste good, to me and Declan at least. Not too salty or flavorful. I love Oishi for that. Their website is uber cute too!




I love peas. They're simple, lovely to look at, and versatile if I may add. Living in Manila makes it nearly impossible to experience fresh green peas. We have to be content with frozen or canned ones. I like the frozen ones better. They're softer than the canned ones.

Chick peas are great too. I luuuve hummus! Hummus with garlic sauce! Yum! Sugar snap peas, I like them too. I think they call them sitsaro in this side of the world. And they're a mainstay in authentic pancit canton (which according to pinoycook is internationally known as chowmein).




There's also something eerie about peas. "Like peas in a pod" is a phrase used to describe people who closely resemble each other... Taken I guess from Pareng Gregor Mendel's work.

And there's also something alien-like about peas... As in the Pod People in The Invasion of the Body Snatchers



But, to be honest... Pods reminds me of Soylent Green...

But I digress. Pods rules! It kind of reminds me of Snacku vegetable crackers (which you 80's kids should be familiar with) with the bright green packaging and tacky commercial-- but I would never feed that to D.

photo credits from flickr and horrophile

4 comments:

gingmaganda said...

hi declan! i love it that you are having pods! my vegan friend has a lot of that in her house, hahaha.

my friend tried pala baking gluten-free brownies dati. yummm.

Pamstr said...

waah... i want an oven...

Anonymous said...

I also love Peas, have you ever heard of the poddington peas, I loved it as a kid. www.poddingtonpeas.com. Great post by the way. J

Pamstr said...

thanks J. and the poddington peas are really cute.:-)